Does medication combined with tamsulosin for prostate problem cause drop in blood pressure?

I have been feeling queasy and tired for the past couple of weeks. I went to the hospital last week and they found blood tests, blood count, hydration and ECG to be normal but that my blood pressure dropped when I stood. The doctor thought it might be the drugs I'm taking for atrial fibillation combined with tamsulosin which I'm taking for prostate trouble. Was sent home and told to take a smaller dosage of atenolol to see how this worked. After a couple of days feel very tired, especially after sitting for long periods. Went back to GP yesterday and he said my blood pressure was normal sitting but was still dropping when I stood up. He thinks I need to allow more time with the reduced atenolol, Any advice?
Posted Tue, 31 Dec 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: Agree but can do more Detailed Answer: Dear Mr XXXX, Thanks for the query. It appears clear by the repeated episodes that you are suffering from orthostatic hypotension, likely exacerbated by medications. It is a disorder that happens more frequently as we age, since the body is unable to make the necessary adjustments to keep blood pressure up when we change positions suddenly. Some medications can make it worse. Agree that tamsulosin and atenolol can contribute. Simple but effective measures to help in your case as you are waiting for the atenolol levels to stabilize will be to increase both your salt and fluid intake, and use graded compression stockings or self-fitted ACE bandages on both legs, which are proven methods to increase the return from the veins and increase blood pressure during these changes. Also, if you are sitting for prolonged periods of time, try crossing your legs, calf over shin, and press them hard so that you increase the venous return to the heart; alternate between the legs. Also, doing hand grip exercises while sitting down helps. Hope that is useful, wish you the best, Dr. Brenes-Salazar MD Mayo Clinic Cardiology