Does mastectomy lead to arthritis?

Apr 2014

I have a upper arm ache, sometimes going into the shoulder, and twinges in neck. This is my right side. In 1990 I had a mod. rad. mastectomy on right side. I'm right handed and I do lots of things with my right arm. I make crafts and sand wood with right arm. I do have arthritis. I wonder if I have arthritis where I had surgery, or tendonitis, or pinched nerve. I take a Tylenol at night, use icy/hot. It seems the warmer my arm, the better it feels. However, the other day my arm was warm and aching, so I put a cold pack on and that helped.
Posted Sat, 21 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Problem may be due to cervical spine or shoulder Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX You need proper clinical examination. Problem may be due to cervical spine or impingement syndrome in shoulder. From history it indicate more towards problem in cervical spine,So MRI cervical spine should be done to assess nerve involvement. Clinical examination of shoulder should also be done to see proper mobility.Nerve impingement syndrome should be ruled out.MRI of shoulder joint should also be done if clinically suspected. Other investigations like routine hemogram,RBS,Serum calcium,Vitamin D level,Thyroid profile should also be done. At present,for pain you can take NSAIDS and ice packs. Proper treatment depends upon clinical findings and investigation reports. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX