Does marvelon work as emergency contraceptive pill?

Question
hello. I am staying in abu dhabi, UAE. Last night 12:30 AM, 7th nov, during intercourse with my wife, condom tore. So we went to local OB gyn for consultation for emergency contraception. She recommanded marvelon21 tablet with 4 tablet immediately and 4 after 12 hours. My wife took the tablets as instructed. meanwhile I was searching on online for Marvelon and came to know that it is not emergency contraceptive measure and she can still get pregnant, although she took first 4 tablets 17 hours after intercourse ( 7th nov, 5:30 PM ) and remaining 4 tablets after 12 hours ( 8th nov 5:30 AM ). I want to know if marvelon is effective as emergency contraceptive measure or not? If yes, how effective it is and how much chance my wife still bears for pregancy. Her period was due on 16th Nov. Now due to this medication, how much her period would get affected? If her periods are delayed by more interval, would it indicate that she bears a chance for pregancy?
Posted Fri, 29 Nov 2013 in Birth Control

Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 32 minutes later
Brief Answer: Oc pills are effective emergency pills. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thank you for choosing XXXXXXX What your wife is prescribed is a low dose combined oestrogen progesterone pill, if taken 4 tablets within 72 hours of unprotected intercourse, and repeat dose after 12 hours, then it will act as a emergency contraceptive method. Though it is a cyclical pills, it can be taken as emergency pills. I want to know if marvelon is effective as emergency contraceptive measure or not? It is effective If yes, how effective it is and how much chance my wife still bears for pregancy----if taken within the prescribed time of within 72 hours then the failure rate is <2%. Her period was due on 16th Nov. Now due to this medication, how much her period would get affected? It wont affect much, sometimes it may delay the period but usually not more than 7 days. If her periods are delayed by more interval, would it indicate that she bears a chance for pregancy? If she delays her period for more than 7 days then kindly get a urine pregnancy test done to rule out pregnancy. Please ask if you have more questions. If you are satisfied, please make sure that your ACCEPT my answer so that I receive credit. Good luck!!

Follow-up: Does marvelon work as emergency contraceptive pill? 29 minutes later
Thank you for your reply. Her last period was on 14th Oct. She has a cycle of 27-26 days (+/- 2 days). We had intercourse on 7th 12:30AM, during which condom tore. she took the marvelon immediately , as prescribed by gyn here. Is she in her fertility period? I have read that first 7 days and last 7 days of period are virtually safe to have unprotected sex. A condom always bear a chance of being torn or leak during intercourse. In that case, what should be taken as measure to avoid pregnancy without halting normal sex life. Although we have taken immediate measures in this case by taking prescribed medication, we are still worried if the medication doesnt work? I have read on many other post on this site that oral contraceptive pills are for birth control but cannot be considered as emergency contraceptive tablets, and hence there is a big possibility of pregnancy. I am staying in UAE, so emergency contraceptive pills are not allowed here. What is other alternative that should be considered as emergency measure. Thank you

Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 19 hours later
Brief Answer: your wife was in fertile period Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX I apologize for the late response; I was away from my computer due to unavoidable reasons. Coming back to your question, Is she in her fertility period? I have read that first 7 days and last 7 days of period are virtually safe to have unprotected sex---- Fertility increases 5 days after stopping of menstruation, your last encounter with your wife was in fertile period. So the chances of conception if there was no medications taken cannot be ruled out. A condom always bear a chance of being torn or leak during intercourse. In that case, what should be taken as measure to avoid pregnancy without halting normal sex life.----- In that case only use is to take emergency pills. Although we have taken immediate measures in this case by taking prescribed medication, we are still worried if the medication doesnt work? ------- The method will work, do not worry. I have already explained you in my previous post regarding the failure rate. I am staying in UAE, so emergency contraceptive pills are not allowed here. What is other alternative that should be considered as emergency measure.--- Copper T insertion within 5 days of last unprotected intercourse or mifepristone 10mg . Lastly since condom breakage cannot be predicted, my advise is to go for OC pills 21 days cycle, they are better than condoms, there are many non-contraceptive benefits of OC pills other than contraception. Please ask if you have more questions. If you are satisfied, please make sure that your ACCEPT my answer so that I receive credit. Good luck!!