Does magnesium and Epson salt cause insomnia and lethargy?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
My wife is receiving intravenous magnesium and also takes baths in Epson salt nightly. She cannot fall asleep, and then is tired and lethargic the next day. Any possible connection?Also taking Armour Thyroid (15 mg)
Posted Sun, 9 Feb 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Sonila Borici 57 minutes later
Brief Answer: Need time for the medications to be effective... Detailed Answer: Hi, Usually, magnesium and Epson salt are highly recommended for the patients who are restless and cannot fall a sleep. In other words, magnesium and Epson salt bathing will help your wife get better sleep. However, it depends on the time she started such treatment: if recently, please have patience until her sleep will be improved. If the treatment is given since long time, then, should discuss with the doctor to change therapy. In addition, I would advise to discuss with her doctor why (the causes) she is not being able to sleep: - the health problems (organic) she might have (including thyroid problems) - medications she is taking - or neurological/psychological problems (anxiety) At the end, I understand your worries, but your wife needs time to get benefits from the medications she is using. All the best to both of you! Dr.Sonila Feel free to ask me other questions you might have!