Does lump inside wrist indicate nerve sheath tumor?

Hi there I have a 2 cm lump on the indsise of my wrist /forearm. It has only been noticed by myself for the past month. I has an ultrasound today and they said it is a mass more likely to be a nerve sheath tumour. I am really scared. Are these common and what % of them are malignant
Posted Wed, 18 Dec 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Prasad 41 minutes later
Brief Answer: Neurofibroma rarely undergoes malignant changes.. Detailed Answer: Hi, What you have is described as neurofibroma in medical terms. This condition is not very common. However this has remained harmless without undergoing malignant changes n in most individuals who have had this tumour. In terms of figures, there is no definite statistical data regarding malignant transformation. It is believed to be extremely rare though. The chances of malignant changes is slightly higher (up to 10%) when these tumour is found early during birth and if there are other associated congenital defects. So do not be very concerned. You have a tumour that is extremely rare to become malignant. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards
Follow-up: Does lump inside wrist indicate nerve sheath tumor? 38 minutes later
THANKYOU so Much I really appreciate it . I think the fact I haven't noticed it is quite good as it is fairly small . What would be the next step at the specialist ? I think he talked about a MRI scan . Without sounding morbid what is the diagnosis like for myself if it is malignant . As in is it easily cure able ? Thanks I really appreciate it
Answered by Dr. Prasad 44 minutes later
Brief Answer: A detailed examination and genetic testing... Detailed Answer: Neurofibrosarcoma, the malignant form of neurofibroma is treated with surgery and radiation. The type of surgery needed will depend on the tumour extension. At this point of time, I don't feel you have neurofibrosarcoma. Therefore you can proceed with MRI scan. That will help us learn the size and growth of this benign tumour. Some doctors leave it alone, a few doctors prefer to understand the type of tumour. We have type 1 and type 2. Genetic testing can help us differentiate your type of tumour. Besides genetic testing, your doctor might perform a complete detailed examination including eyes and ears to look for similar tumour in other locations. Hope this information suffices. Regards