Does low muscle mass cause low creatinine value

I took my eleven year old to our local nurse practitioner for symptoms he was having, which we now know are migraines. She ordered some routine blood and urine tests at the time. She went over the results with me and all blood tests results were normal. My question is about the following urine test results: Creatinine 12.5 mg/dl Low (range 24-392), Microalbumin 12.9 (range 0-17), Microalb/Creat Ratio 103.2 High (range 0-30). Our N.P. said it's fine and results are due to my son having a thin build. Would you agree with her analysis? His only health conditions are migraines and allergies. Thank you.
Posted Thu, 13 Feb 2014 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Yes, low muscle mass can explain this Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about the migraines your child is having. The NP is correct when she mentions that the low muscle mass is the explanation of this low creatinine value. This is because creatinine is a breakdown product of muscles and its level can be affected by how much muscle mass we have. If your child has a thin body build, then this is the most likely explanation given all the information we have at hand. Microalbumin is normal but, the creatinine is low. A normal figure divided by a small one would give a higher result which is out of the normal range. This is not an abnormality in the microalb/creatinine ratio but, a simple reflection of the low creatinine numbers. In all, do not be concerned about this creatinine numbers. Higher numbers are of concern and rarely lower numbers. I hope this addresses your query fully. I wish you well and your son a speedy resolution of his migraines. Feel free to ask for more information and clarification if need be. Thanks. Dr. Ditah, MD.