Does low immunity due to Lyme and co infections reactivate HHV6?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
Question
Hello doc my name is XXXX I have a question I hope you can help me with.Back in XXXXXXX I was bitten by two ticks and got very sick.I went to a lyme specialist and was test and came back for borrelia /Rocky Mountain fever/Two types of bebesia and mycoplasma as well as past exposure to HHV6. As you know many people have been exposed to HHV6 as kids mine was not active but I read some scary stuff that said if you have a low immune system from Lyme and co infections it can reactivate the HHV6 and I've read that that plus the mycoplasma can give people HIV1 have you heard of this and should I be concerned.I am currently on herbs and antibiotics trying to kill the tick bacterias.
Posted Wed, 26 Feb 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Fatbardha Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Your immune system is still strong enough... Detailed Answer: Hi my dear, I am sorry for the sad health situation you are in. I am happy that you are currently on herbs and antibiotics trying to kill the bacterias. I strongly suggest to keep following up with your doctor until all-cleared up. I understand your concerns; it is true that your body immune system is weakened by the infections you had. However, as long as you are getting treated and your doctors have referred you're improving,then, should not be worried. Try to focus on fighting the bacteria and getting well again. It is also true that weak immune system might reactivate HHV6; however, I do not think yours is so weak to get things worst. As HIV patients are immuno-compromised, the re-activation of HHV6 can easily occur and can precipitate AIDS dementia. You are young and strong enough to overcome the current problems you are facing! Wish fast recovery! Dr.Bardha

Follow-up: Does low immunity due to Lyme and co infections reactivate HHV6? 1 hour later
So i should not worry about it causing me HIV i have tested Negative out to 9 months but its scary stuff?

Answered by Dr. Fatbardha Sejdini 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: No HIV if infected with Lyme disease.... Detailed Answer: Hi back, Thank you for following up. As long as you tested negative, and you are taking proper measures not to be infected with HIV, no worry to get it while being infected by Lyme disease and others! In other words, no HIV while having Lyme disease and where testing resulted negative! Do not get scared for this! Wish fast recovery! Dr.Bardha

Follow-up: Does low immunity due to Lyme and co infections reactivate HHV6? 33 minutes later
Ok thanks Doc i was worried because i read that mycroplazma that i have along with the HHV6 if acctivated can turn into HIV1

Answered by Dr. Fatbardha Sejdini 11 hours later
Brief Answer: HIV patients more prone to Mycoplasma infection... Detailed Answer: Hi my dear, Usually, immuno-compromised patients (with HIV) are more prone to develop Mycoplasma pneumoniae infection. This is the relationship between Mycoplasma and HIV. Once again, there are many researches studying this correlation, however, they are not conclusive. Other studies should be carried for final conclusions. Wish fast recovery! Dr.Bardha