Ask a Urologist   »  

Does lead chelation cause pelvic pain, lower back pain, and burning urination?

I am a 48 year old female who is experiencing pelvic pain in the areas of my ovaries, lower back pain, hot feeling from my vaginia, slight burning feeling when urinating and a 99.2 temp for the past 5 days. I had a CT scan of abdomen and pelvic area in XXXXXXX of 2013. It showed a small cyst on an ovary and a fibroid tumor. I am worried of cancer because I heard fibroids can be cancerous. I must add that I am also going through lead chelation treatments at this time and wonder if this has anything to do with my symptoms?
Posted Sun, 16 Mar 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Suggestive of a urinary tract infection Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about these symptoms that you have reported. I hope we identify the cause and propose a plan to help you get through this. Fibroids are rarely cancerous. There are mainly benign. Though I have seen several clients with fibroids, none has actually been diagnosed as cancer. even the literature reports fibroid related cancers are rare occurrences. There is really no reason to get too worried by this. Also, your age makes it more likely for the fibroid to regress rather than grow to troubling sizes. Pain with urination associated with pelvic pain raises the suspicion of a possible urinary tract infection. I will suggest you consider to get evaluated and treated for that. A visit to a primary doctor with 3days course of antibiotics or a urine test would throw more light on this. Lead chelation/intoxication would be unlikely to be the cause of these symptoms. I hope this addresses your query fully. Thank you so much for patronizing our services and please do feel free to ask for follow up clarifications and information if need be. I wish you the best of health. Dr. Ditah, MD.
Follow-up: Does lead chelation cause pelvic pain, lower back pain, and burning urination? 20 minutes later
Dr. Ditah, thank you so much for your quick response and making me feel a little less nervous. My Mom has Stage IV breast cancer, so cancer is the first thing that always comes to my mind. What could cause the Urinary Tract Infection? My urine has been cloudy with a weird smell, kind of like a medicine smell. Thanks again. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 20 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thanks for following up with me Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Urinary tract infection are caused by bacteria. They gain access to the urethra and bladder mainly by climbing up from the peri-anal area. With a cloudy urine and weird smell, this is more likely to be a urinary tract infection. I understand the fear about cancers. Little suggest this right now and unlikely to be one. Please, stick to your regular screening and remember the fact that your mom has cancers means you would for sure go down with cancer too. You may be a a greater risk but not a certainty that you would. simply stay very alert and respect the various screening programs in place. Do not forget to get consulted for the probable urine infection for confirmation and treatment. I wish you the best of health. Dr. Ditah, MD.
Follow-up: Does lead chelation cause pelvic pain, lower back pain, and burning urination? 22 hours later
Hi Dr. Ditah, it's me again. Sorry to be a pest. I went to the Gynecologist today and she said I don't have a UTI. But her exam showed some fibroids and a thickening of the uterus. She is sending me for an ultrasound. Now I am really nervous. I have read that thickening can be uterine cancer? I just had a CT Scan in XXXXXXX of 2013 and this was not mentioned. Can the uterus thicken that quickly? And chances of it being cancerous? Thank you so much, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 18 hours later
Brief Answer: Please, do not be too worried...We shall look into Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for this follow up. I understand your fears and we have discussed about the family history of cancer before. They are genuine but we are not there yet as there is so much lacking or in favour of cancer right now. Are you menopausal? With a CT scan that showed no uterine thickening in XXXXXXX it would be very unlikely for this thickening to be cancerous. Cancers take a long time to grow and only a very tiny proportion of uterine hyperplasia represent this. The only reason why cancer would be on board is because given your age, it must be excluded rather than not investigated. From the above information, an ultrasound is not a standard investigation for uterine hyperplasia. This must have been a mere suspicion and your doctors wants confirmation by a specialist. If this is confirmed, you would benefit from a uterine biopsy which would for sure update us on whether this is cancer or not. Believe me, the chances would be minimal. Talking of th worse case scenario, which is cancer, it would still be confined in the uterus and surgery alone would be able to cure it permanently with no risk of recurrence or serious side effects. The uterus thickens all the times and shed off during menses. If you have had scanty menses or missed your periods for sometime, then that could be the reason. Please, when was the last time you had regular menses so that I can tell if this is linked to your menses or not. Also what was the estimated thickness? This is because small thicknesses are less suggestive of cancer. In all, a very few percentage of people with thickened uterus have cancer. Provide me with the date of your last menstrual period? Tell me whether your are menopausal of not and also the measured thickness of the uterus. I wish you well. Hope to hear and factor in these changes to see what the probability of this being cancerous are. Dr. Ditah, MD.
Follow-up: Does lead chelation cause pelvic pain, lower back pain, and burning urination? 5 days later
Hi Dr.Ditah. I just got back my Ultrasound report. It states that I have 2 adjacent mildly complex hypoechoic cystic lesions with diffuse low level internal echoes in the left ovary measuring 18X12X7mm and !7X14X13mm. These may represent hemorrhagic cysts or endometriomas. Other findings say no free fluid. Conclusion: was 3 month followup. Can these be cancerous? I am a nervous wreck. Thanks for any help. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 20 hours later
Brief Answer: Most likely a cyst Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for following up with me. I am sorry to hear about this ultrasound report. I understand how frightening this finding can be to you. However, the sizes of these cyst are not suggestive of a cancerous lesion. Cancers present with a solid content that would not be confused with water or blood content in these cyst. The sizes are small enough and considered. If they were bigger than 60mm, the surgery would have been done to take it out. Most of these small cysts get to resolve all by themselves without the need of any more treatment beyond monitoring. Your age makes the diagnosis of endometriomas less likely. This is more common in women in their 20-30s and not in women who are almost at the end pf their reproductive cycles. There is very little here to suggest cancers. A follow up ultrasound at 3moths would show whether this cyst has changed or not. Depending on these changes, suspicion of a cancerous process or not. My guess is that this is very very unlikely to be cancers. I hope this helps. I wish you well. Dr. Ditah, MD.
Follow-up: Does lead chelation cause pelvic pain, lower back pain, and burning urination? 21 minutes later
Thank you so much Dr Ditah If endometriomas are not likely then it could be hemorrhagic cysts. What are they? I also did not understand the finding of no free fluid. Thanks again.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 8 hours later
Brief Answer: Hemorrhagic cyst could be more likely Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this follow up. When fluid is found in the abdomen, it is more suggestive of a more concerning process than just a simple one. Fluid is more likely to present for cancers and not simple cysts. This often results from the peritoneal lining secreting more fluids in an attempt to contain an intra-abdominal process. Its absence is a good sign in this case. Endometriomas a re more common in younger persons who have endometrial tissue located out of the uterus. They then shed blood monthly during menses which accumulates over time and form this. If you were younger and had terrible menstrual pains, this would have been one of the top possibilities. I hope you find this helpful. Feel free to get more clarifications as need arises. Thanks. Dr. Ditah, MD.