Does latent TB caause complications in IVF?

Infertility Specialist
I have does TB ferron test and the result is come as i may have latent disease. I have one failed IVF attempt and one failed frozen transfer attempt. I have PCOD but by HSG is clear - can you pls. advise if I need to treat the latent tb disease
Posted Sat, 15 Feb 2014 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Dattaprasad 40 minutes later
Brief Answer: Treatment of latent TB not for IVF. Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to XXXXXXX In latent TB bacteria are present mostly in lungs & are not interfering with IVF result anyway. Whether to treat latent TB depends on which country you are residing. In developing countries, where TB is highly prevalent, treatment of latent TB is not warranted. In developed countries where incidence of TB is low, treatment might be warranted to avoid spread of TB, but not from IVF point of view. Whether you need treatment or not will be decided by chest & TB medicine specialist available there & not by gynecologist/infertility specialist. You do not need to treat latent TB to improve IVF success rate. What you need is evaluation for the cause of failure of previous IVF: embryo quality, endometrial thickness & pattern at the time of embryo transfer, presence or absence of fibroid/adenomyosis/hydrosalpinx on ultrasound scan & one hysteroscopy to look inside uterine cavity to confirm everything is normal. You can go for blastocyst transfer if facility is available & if success rates of previous such transfers done are good in that particular center. Hope this helps you. Let me know if you have other concerns. Regards.