Does laser removal of public hair and hair on testicles and scrotum have any impact on fertility ?

Do you remove the hair on the testicles and scrotum and pubic hair by (laser technology) have any risks or possible effects on the ability to have children in the future in the short term or long term??

I want to do that, but I am very afraid that this will lead to (Male infertility) in the long term or short or any Other problems...Is it 100% safe or not ?

Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Tulasi Raman.P 9 hours later

Your query has been answered by our specialist Dr. M.S XXXXXXX XXXXXXX Consultant Cosmetic Surgeon.

Kindly find the specialist's answer below:

The laser pubic hair removal procedure consists on shining the pubic region with a high energy laser beam for a very short time.

There are few controversies surrounding the use of Laser for removal of pubic hair. I prefer not to use it for pubic hair. According to me the ideal parts of laser hair removal are Back, unibrow, nape of neck. I advise my patients to go for the conventional methods like hair removal creams, plucking and shaving for pubic hair. The disadvantage of Laser is you cannot groom your hair back if you want to. I have reports that men are not happy without pubic hair.

If your surgeon is fine taking up laser you may go ahead with it after speaking to him about the disadvantages and matching your expectations.

There are several types of laser hair removal techniques available. The most effective one is the Alexandrite laser, but it is not very useful unless you have very fair skin. The pulsed diode array laser is used for medium-colored skin while Nd:YAG is used for more tanned skin. The choice of the laser done your surgeon matching skin and hair color.

The wavelength in the laser used now a days are safe. Laser techniques are being used for prostate treatment and treating infertility now a days. Using laser directly on the scrotum and testis is not studied yet. So no great evidence to comment on it.

I hope my answer has been adequate and informative. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.

Follow-up: Does laser removal of public hair and hair on testicles and scrotum have any impact on fertility ? 3 hours later
Thank you Dr. M.S XXXXXXX

Do you remove the pubic hair and (scrotum) specifically by laser
Affect my ability to have children or not? Even by 1%, meaning it affects the efficient functioning of the testicles, Even by 1% or no,,,,, safe 100%.meaning no any risk on testicles never... ?
Answered by Dr. Tulasi Raman.P 2 hours later

I do not use laser to remove hair on scrotum and testicles. I advise you not to go for it.