Does iron treatment result in prolonged periods?

if we take iron treatment periods will be prolonged?
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Jagdish 2 hours later

I request you elaborate your history.

1. How old are you?
2. What is your cycle length now (e.g 28 day) and what was it earlier?
3. How many days do you menstruate now and how many earlier to Iron supplements?
4. How many pads you change per day?
5. Did the doctor mention the cause for anemia?

Prolonged bleeding (Menorrhagia) is caused by many conditions. Some are : hormonal factors-hypo and hyperthyroidism, high prolactin; uterine fibroids, polyps in uterus; infections of genital tract infections.

I recommend you get vaginal examination by Gynecologist. You also need CBC, Iron studies, PT, PTT, TSH, Prolactin, LH, FSH, and Ultrasound of the abdomen.

Prolonged bleeding can cause anaemia /low haemoglobin. To treat anaemia, iron tablets are given. Iron supplementation will not cause prolonged bleeding, but prolonged bleeding may require Iron supplements.

I can be more elaborate if you can answer my questions above.

Dr. Jagdish