Does iron tablets causes sore throat?

can iron tablets give you a sore throat, I have always suffered with reflux and after taking a course of iron tablets not only are they upsetting my stomach but I have a sore throat and mouth
Posted Tue, 4 Dec 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 1 hour later
Your query is about Iron tablet.

Iron tablets are known to produce stomach upset nausea and vomiting, as reflux causes acidic content of stomach to come in mouth it produces a chemical sore and raw area which sometimes gets infected.
Even more so in your case as you have predisposing history of asthma and reflux disease.

If you have Iron deficiency and oral iron therapy is absolutely necessary, a PPI (Proton Pump inhibitor) like Omeperazole along with prokinetic may be given to reduce reflux problem. We can also try some other iron salt formulation, which is better tolerated.

Hope this information helps, if you have any further query, I will be available to answer that.

Follow-up: Does iron tablets causes sore throat? 1 hour later
Thanks for the reply but I already take Omeperazole on a regular basis as I suffer with bile reflux. I have been taking them now for a few weeks so i will give them a miss and see if the symptoms disappear .
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 17 minutes later

Thanks for the follow up.

If you are already taking omeparazole and not tolerating iron tablets, certainly it is worthwhile to withhold Iron tablets for a week or so in consultation with your treating to see if your symptoms improve or not.

Prokinetic drugs which improve motility of gut and help to keep XXXXXXX (Lower esophageal Sphincter) closed may be helpful to you in consultation with your treating doctor.

Regarding Iron deficiency, why you have to take iron is not clear to me.

Please inform me about the progress. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Please take care of yourself