Does intake of Xanax and vodka reduce the BP and heart rate ?

my 18 year old son just came home and told us he took two 1mg xanax and drank some vodka and crown royal i took is blood pressure while he is passed out and read 82/44 with a heart rate of 65 is this normal and what should i do
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Drug Abuse
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 21 minutes later

Xanax is a medicine which is prescribed for anxiety attacks and panic attacks and depending on the condition, the dose of 4-6 mg can be given daily. But it is given in divided doses over a span of 24 hours and not together at the same time.

Hypotension (low BP ) an bradycardia are side effects of this drug and is found in approximately 4 % of the population. It is not normal to have such a BP and heart rate and your son needs to be attended by a physician immediately.

My suggestion is to take him to the ER immediately as he needs immediate I/V fluids and medical management. In addition he may need BP support as epinephrine which can be given in a hospital setup.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.