Does increased smoking and alcohol intake during stress increase heart rate ?

lately I have been in lots of stress. I have been smoking a lot. I had some alcohol today also. My hart beat is 140 and i am afraid if i should go to hospital or not, please let me know what should I do
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later

Smoking, consuming alcohol and stress are the factors which can increase heart rate and produce palpitations.

A high heart rate like yours if associated with other high risk factors like hypertension, diabetes, obesity, family history of heart disease or stroke in first blood relations is considered to be in high risk category. You must watch for the danger signs like tightness of chest, dizziness, transient attacks of unconsciousness, etc.

It would be better to get examined and evaluated by a physician, and might need to get an Electrocardiogram done.

Meanwhile you can follow these measures:
1. Avoid smoking, consuming alcohol
2. Avoid tea, coffee and other substances which can increase stress
3. A sedative medication would be helpful in reducing stress and for a good sleep, but only after discussing with your doctor and on prescription.

Hope this answers your query. In case of doubts, I am available for the follow ups.