Does increase in fiber in diet help for 4 year old autism patient ?

My four year old
has autism does she need to have more fiber because of her autism
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Diet Plans
Answered by Dr. Tulasi Raman.P 42 minutes later

Dietary recommendations for kids with autism are generally believed to be similar to those for the general population. So there is there no studies to show high fiber to cause improvement in Autism.

By the way there are other dietary problems that you may have to know regarding your child with autism.

Some kids with autism may be at nutritional risk due to their behaviors around foods and eating. Food refusal and difficulty in introducing new foods into the diet of a person with autism are common problems. For example, the kid will eat only few, specific foods with specific preferences for "dry" or "wet" form, color, brand, or shape. This type of behavior may put them at nutritional risk, especially if entire food groups (i.e., vegetables or dairy) are refused.

The basics of good nutrition can often be learned, if repeated frequently over a long period of time.

1. Avoid using food as a reward.
2. Avoid offering food unnecessarily.
3. Offer healthy snacks such as fruits and vegetables, low-fat popcorn, cereal bars, and low-fat yogurt.
4. Offer only water as a beverage with meals so the child does not fill up with high-calorie liquids and then reject food.

It has been a pleasure providing you with an answer which I hope has been adequate and informative. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.
Follow-up: Does increase in fiber in diet help for 4 year old autism patient ? 10 minutes later
What I meant is does she need to have more fiber in her diet for normal bowl movements because she had autism
Answered by Dr. Tulasi Raman.P 51 minutes later

Thanks for writing back to me.

As Autism is frequently associated with other neurological conditions, it is better to have more fiber in the diet which will definitely help in her bowel movements.

Wish You and Your daughter Good Health.

If you are satisfied with my reply and have no further questions kindly click on the accept button below.