Does holding gout affected foot under hot water help gout attack by dissolving crystals?

Hi i heard holding gout affected foot under "as hot as you can stand water" for a while helps gout attack by dissolving the chrystals that cause the inflammation. Is this true? also what other things can I try ? I am Taking diclefenac which does help pain , but is not curing the attack.. Thank you
Posted Tue, 18 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Mihail Iepure 57 minutes later
Welcome to Healthcare Magic,
Gout is crystal induced arhtropathy and must be confirmed by laboratory investigation such: find elevated levels of urate crystals in synovial liquid, and serum uric acid level ( normal range < 7 mg/dl ) plus clinical symptoms and signs ( joint pain, redness, warmth, swelling, etc..). Treatment of acute attacks most effective with hydrocortisone or methylprednisolone injections, to control pain : anti-inflammatory drugs diclofenac, ibuprofen, naproxen etc.. To reduce uric acid level in the blood : allopurinol or colchicine (all these medication can prescribe your Doctor and he will explain treatment details); diet with reduction in high purine foods (sardines, and mussels, anchovies, trout, scallops, mutton, veal, liver, bacon, salmon). Regarding “hot water “ there no medical indication in treatment of gout. I noted you have diabetes type 1 , make sure and monitor glucose level , diet and another recommendation to prevent complications.
I wish you good luck and speedy recovery.
Hope this helps and I have answered your query. If you have additional queries don’t hesitate to ask.
Best Regards,