Does hip replacment surgery cause troubles with blood clot?

May 2014

My 86 year old mother has a hip fracture just below the ball end of the femur. Surgery tomorrow, half hip replacement. After her knee surgery she had trouble with blood clots. It's this likely after this hip surgery? Thank you.
Posted Tue, 21 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Yes risk for clots persists but can be minimized Detailed Answer: Hi Pcallbeckharper, Thanks for writing in to us. The trouble with blood clots is more related to the period of immobilization than the surgery itself. You have mentioned that she is rather sedentary. This raises the risk for blood clots after any procedure, especially those requiring immobilization. So my answer to your query will be yes, likelihood of clots exists after hip surgery. However, the risks can be minimized by informing your doctor about the past medical details. They will provide take precautions during and after surgery. I hope that answers your query partly. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek