Does herpes spread through fluid and will a blood test confirm herpes or is testing a lesion more conclusive?

Dermatologist
Question
Is hv 2 spread through fluid or skin to skin?
will a blood test confirm hv1 and hv2 or is testing a lesion more conclusive? Can hv2 be spread by mouth to mouth kissing when no symptoms are present? if no symptoms are present can hv2 be transmitted to the female if the male is wearing a condom?
Posted Wed, 26 Jun 2013 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in.

Can you specify what you mean by Hv 2?

I assume by hv 2 you mean herpes simplex type 2 infection.
It spreads through mucosal contact and fluid exchange but not with intact skin-to-skin contact.
Blood test is more conclusive than lesion testing.
Herpes can spread by mouth to mouth kissing as fluid exchange takes place, even when no symptoms are present.
Condom prevents against infection and male partner wearing condom does not transmit infection to female.

Hope this answers your query.
I will be available for follow up.
DR Sudarshan
Dermatology,HIV STD specialist

Follow-up: Does herpes spread through fluid and will a blood test confirm herpes or is testing a lesion more conclusive? 49 minutes later
yes I do mean herpes simplex 2. when you say herpes can be spread by kissing is it hv 1 and 2? Does this mean that anytime I kiss my partner and we exchange saliva there is a possibility that the HV 1 and/or 2 can be transmitted?

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 4 hours later
Hi again,

Herpes virus which spreads by kissing is usually type 1 and very rarely type 2.

Usually herpes 1 causes infection above waist and herpes 2 below waist.

Herpes virus demonstrate a phenomenon called asymptomatic shedding.This means virus can be spread by body fluids even when a person is asymptomatic.

So there is a small but definite risk of HSV transmission while kissing from infected partner to other.
You can go for blood test for IgG (Immunoglobulin G) and IgM (Immunoglobulin M) antibody testing for herpes 1 and 2.

High IgM titre suggests recent active infection.Only IgG titres suggest old infection.If IgM titre are high kissing and other intimate physical contact should be avoided.
Hope this helps.

I will be available for follow up.

DrSudarshan

Follow-up: Does herpes spread through fluid and will a blood test confirm herpes or is testing a lesion more conclusive? 18 hours later
another question: if doing oral sex, or hand caressing, could there be lesions on the inside (not visible) that could release the virus with any juice that might be released with the stimulation and then released onto hands or lips....? Is that how the virus is spread without "symptoms", that there are blisters on the inside that aren't felt.... (I'm talking about not visible on the male).

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 26 hours later
Hi again,

Sorry for replying late but I had busy schedule.

Yes, you are right. Even when no visible lesions are present in male and female ,they can spread the virus through the mucosal secretions.The virus replicates in epithelial lining of mucosa and it can be transferred to partner even when no lesions are visible.

Hope this clears your doubt.

DrSudarshan

Follow-up: Does herpes spread through fluid and will a blood test confirm herpes or is testing a lesion more conclusive? 3 hours later
i sent a rather legnthy question at 12:36 pacific time did you get it?
ou may have already received this..
Please tell me which of the following activities I can engage in with my partner safely assuming I have tested possitive for HV1 and 2:
1) French Kissing
2) Fellatio- Me for her and her for me
3) Sex without a condom
4) Hand manipulation/ caressing- me on her genital/vagina and her on my penis

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 8 hours later
Hi again,

Activities 1,2 and 3 have risk of transmitting infection to her; particularly risk is more with 2 and 3.
Activity 4 has no risk of transmitting infection.

In brief mucosa to mucosa contact has the risk of transmitting the infection.

Hope this clears the matter.

Dr Sudarshan