Does headache and stiff neck mean chickenpox or herpes?

hello i am having chickenpox and sever headache and stiff neck from 4 days is it herpis or only chickenpox
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

Development of headache or stiff neck can occur in both the above conditions. In such case doctor will treat with simple analgesics for few days.

If these drugs do not help and if you have added photophobia, uncontrolled headache and neck stiffness while you are suffering from chicken pox is indicative of encephalitis. It is a serious condition which needs immediate medical help. Though it is commonly seen in children I feel that you should better go report this to your treating doctor who will take your cerebrospinal fluid for examination and will prescribe you the necessary medicines.

It is easily treatable if early detected and achieving full recovery.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. If there are additional concerns, I am available for your followups.