Does hard painful lump on inner forearm caused due to lipoma become malignant?

Apr 2014

I have a hard, immovable, slightly blue, painful lump on my inner forearm. Sometimes the pain goes up and down my arm. I have an appointment with a surgeon tomorrow. Several months ago, my husband's oncologist said it was a lipoma. So, I didn't worry, but it has changed. What are the chances that it is malignant?
Posted Tue, 14 Jan 2014 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Lipoma very rarely changes into malignant form. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX Lipoma are usually painless and soft in consistency.It is the most common soft tissue benign growth in subcutaneous region. Lipoma very rarely turns into malignant form. It may be hard in consistency due to more fibrous tissue within it and it may be painful due to inflammation,compression of nerve,size enlargement etc. However other possibilities like neurofibroma should also be excluded. I think your doctor is right and now there is inflammation in lipoma so it is causing pain.Now it may require surgical excision. You should consult your surgeon. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX