Does gaining weight post hernia surgery cause stabbing like sensation ?

My age is 26, Height is 5"4 feet..
I have done hernia surgery 14 weeks back and for last 3 days i feel stabbing sensation. I have stabbing sensation when i bend or sit on chair in perfect L position or when i touch my toes i have stabbing sentation where the mesh has been placed and causing me to wait for next few seconds to continue my work. but when i lean on chair and sit or sleep i dont have any problem.

at time of surgery i was 70kg and after surgery iam 75kg. When i consulted my surgeon he said no issues with my surgery and asked me to reduce weight asap. Does gaining weight can cause stabbing like sensation ?
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Weight & Lifestyle
Answered by Dr. Sunil.N 2 hours later
Hi ,

Let me explain you the cause for the stabbing sensation during bending after an hernia repair.

1) Nerve entrapment in scar tissue or Post-operative benign nerve tumors (Neuromas) occurs as healing process if nerve is damaged.

2) Scar tissue or tissue damage.

3) Misplaced mesh can happen.

4)Recurrent (or persistent) hernia.

5)Constriction or narrowing of the XXXXXXX inguinal ring around the spermatic cord

6)Periostitis-inflammation of the outer membrane of the pubic bone due to the presence of permanent suture material inadvertently placed into this layer resulting in chronic inflammation and pain but the pain will dull and present through out the day.

A clinical examination is required to confirm the above causes .

You had mentioned that you did consult your surgeon for the same problem and he said no issues with the surgery, so that makes weight gain as the possible cause for the stabbing kind of sensation.Because it can increase the tension in the sutured mesh and around the surrounding tissues .So consider reducing the weight.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.