Does frequent severe headaches indicate possible migraine problem?

Nov 2013

Hi I'm a 30 yr old male. I had an MRI brain and the report says as follows. "Right centrum semiovale show lacunar T2 hyperintense foci- ischaemic foci" I also suffer with frequent severe headaches not sure if it is migraine. Pls help, bit worried what the diagnosis is.
Posted Wed, 25 Dec 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 7 hours later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query and sending us the MRI brain reports. First of all, I would like to reassure you that small ischemic foci (areas of brain with decreased blood flow) are common in patients with migraine. This is more common in patients with severe migraine, or those in whom migraine is not treated well. This would not lead to any disability. So, as of now, there is no need to worry. You should be started on preventive medications to reduce the severity and frequency of migraine headaches. These medications include beta blockers, topiramate and divalproex. In addition, you should also get screened for high BP, sugar, cholesterol and homocysteine, which can also result in ischemic foci in the brain. I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: My BLOG: