Does fractured patella make one prone to osteoporosis?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi. i have a fractured patella from falling heavily on it on concrete. I am 56 and have some health problems which are possibly associated with being long term vegan (low iron, B12, proteins, calcium, sodium My question is, does a fracture make me more prone to osteoporosis? I read an article which seems to indicate it does..
Posted Sat, 8 Mar 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 43 minutes later
Brief Answer: Fracture doesn't make Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. Fracture doesn't make someone more prone to osteoporosis. Osteoporosis makes them more prone to break (fracture). Bones with osteoporosis are fragile bones which are much more susceptible to fractures and breaks. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care
Follow-up: Does fractured patella make one prone to osteoporosis? 6 hours later
Thanks Doctor XXXXXXX That makes it clearer, that having osteoporosis makes one more prone to fracture. I dont think I have osteoporosis in this leg and it appears to be getting better. But I do believe that when we are older ( I am 56 now) , our bones become more fragile. I understand calcium and vitamin D are important for bone health. Do you agree? What other nutrients can help? I have also started doing weights as I have read that is good for strengthening bones (though not lifting weight with this leg at the moment, I'm starting to give it a tiny bit of resistance in extension) My other question is this. I have a brace for the leg and was told not to let it bend. But it feels more comfortable to have it bend backward some of the time. What do you think? I is a little over two weeks since the fracture, and apparently it hasn't moved. Thanks Doctor XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 22 hours later
Brief Answer: Phosphorous, magnesium and protein. Detailed Answer: Hi, You are right. Calcium and vit D are important for bone health.Phosphorous, magnesium and protein are also important for building the bone tissue. Continue doing strengthening exercises. It is good for early recovery. It is too early to bend your knee at this time. Do not do it before 4 weeks or till your doctor advice. I hope you have got your answer. If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you. If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback
Follow-up: Does fractured patella make one prone to osteoporosis? 21 minutes later
Thanks Dr XXXXXXX OK, calcium and vit D, PLUS proteins, magnesium, phosphorous. I need Iron too. Being vegan, green veggies, avocado, beans, seaweeds, sunshine, and brown rice. Easy on the caffeine and alcohol. And keep wearing the brace. Anything else? I have another question. Do you know much about Ayurveda? I believe I am Vata type. Do you know what that means and what foods I should eat and avoid? Many thanks, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 7 hours later
Brief Answer: You are doing well. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX It's nice to hear from you. You are doing well. Beside these continue doing strengthening exercises. Sorry, I am an orthopaedician and having no knowledge of Ayurveda.