Does flu infection cause sharp pain in my upper leg?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have recently undergone a five-day Z-PAC therapy for what must have been flu - congestion, awful cough, some fever - which is better, although I still have some coughing, just not as deep in my chest. Two days ago I suddenly developed a sharp pain in my upper left leg - no known trauma or event - that hurts when I walk straight, but not when I angle my leg outward (and waddle sort of stiff legged). It hurts at night when it isn't straight; Aleve helps the pain....I'm wondering if the flu infection might have migrated...
Posted Sat, 1 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Possibility of cellulitis due to post viral spread Detailed Answer: Hello, I have studied your case. As per your history there is possibility of cellulitis due to post viral spread of infection. Another possibility of deep vein thrombosis of leg muscle leading to pain. You may need clinical examination to confirm diagnosis Further you may need to do MRI and Ultrasound of the swelling. I will advise to Rest the part and avoid any movements that produce pain. Till time you can take anti-inflammatory and antibiotic if infection is suspected. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.