Does fixing of head with ROA mean early labor ? I'm 31 weeks pregnant

May 2013
I am 31wk+3 days pregnant. On my last visit to the doctor, (2 days back), she wrote that the baby is ROA and that head is fixed. She did not suggest any scans as she said the baby was doing fine and will continue to grow till wk 36.
There are 5 fibroids in my uterus which are fairly big (the last time the largest was 10*10*10cm. But the doc said there was enough space for the baby.
My question is, does the fixing of head with ROA mean early labour?
Posted Thu, 21 Jun 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
thanks for the query.

-baby in ROA, indicates baby's head is in right occipito anterior position, which is common position and it will not indicate preterm labor.

-fixation of head means head entered into pelvis, this usually occurs in 9th month, can occur around 33 to 34 weeks also.

-but around 31 weeks is some what early may be because of fibroids,
but fixation of head doesn't necessariliy indicate preperm labor bacause fixed head is different from engaged head.

-when the biparital diameter of head crosses the pelvic brim it is called head engagement it usually occurs around 38 to 40 weeks in primi and at the time of labor in multi usually.

-but as fixation occured early we cananot completely ruleout the chances of
preterm labor.

now what you can do is,
take enough rest, 2 hours in day time, 8 hours during night,
try to keep little foot end elevation with pillow etc,
maintain good nutrition and hydration,
take regular antenatal checkups and if any discomfort like pain abdomen, leaking or bleeding per vaginum occurs consult your doctor immediately.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
take care.