Does excessive intake of sweets cause diabetes?

can a person "get" diabetes simply from eating a lot of sweets? Do you have a reference service of RECOMMENDED primary care physicians? Mine has recently retired and I'd rather have someone closer to home than his recommendation. Thank you
Posted Tue, 7 Jan 2014 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 33 minutes later
Brief Answer: Calories Detailed Answer: It is not excessive intake of sweets alone that one can get diabetes. It applies to all types of food that have calories in it. So eating any food type, such as protein or fat or carbohydrates (sweets, in amounts greater than the body's needs, it can lead to weight gain and consequently diabetes. I am not aware of any reference service for primary care physicians. However, checking with local community resources like the yellow pages or internet search in your area should help.