Does erosion of the cervix cause irregular menstrual cycles and cramps during sexual intercourse?

Question
I am a 36 yr old woman. A few months ago I was diagnosed with an erosion of the cervix. My periods have become very irregular, I get mid month short lasting vaginal bleeds and very recently I have started experiencing an intense period-type pain just before, during and after orgasm. The pain usually subsides within a few minutes. What is causing this pain?
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 23 minutes later

Keeping in mind the prior history and diagnosis of cervical erosions, the pain described could be due to inflammatory changes in the cervix, which during sexual intercourse induce involuntary contractions of the uterus.

You might benefit by examination by your OBGYN to evaluate the current status of the cervix with PAP smears.

In addition blood tests to rule out early onset of menopause might also be important to evaluate the cause for the irregular periods.

In the mean time, medications like ibuprofen or naprosyn (available OTC) might be helpful to reduce the pain.

I hope this helps.

I will be available for any follow up questions that you might be having.

Follow-up: Does erosion of the cervix cause irregular menstrual cycles and cramps during sexual intercourse? 4 hours later

Thanks for your answer.

You have said "the pain described could be due to inflammatory changes in the cervix, which during sexual intercourse induce involuntary contractions of the uterus." What is the treatment for this, or is this likely to be ongoing forever?

Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 42 minutes later
Hello ,

Uterine contractions are natural and normal during sexual intercourse and especially during an orgasm. But the presence of tissue inflammation around the cervix, is the cause of the severe pain.

The medications Naprosyn or ibuprofen might help to control the inflammation and aid in healing, thus helping in resolution of your pain.

But the definitive treatment depends on the underlying condition, that can be determined by a pelvic examination by your gynecologist.

Once the condition is treated, your symptoms will resolve. There is no reason for them to last for prolonged duration.

I hope this clears any doubts.