Does enlarged lymph nodes pose a serious threat and do they disappear after treatment? Any chance of Hodgkin lympoma?

General Surgeon
my 1.5 year daughter is undergoing TB infection treatment as her Mt test was positive before 2 months. she has enlarged lymph nodes in neck and arm pit. initially I observed 2 or 3 nodes reduced in size after treatment but now I don't see any node reducing in size from last 1 month. she has 1-1 node in both armpit and 1 in right neck sizing 1.5 cm XXXXXXX SIZE IS NOT INCREASING OF ANY NODE. is it possible that even after treatment nodes may not go away????? any thing serious if nodes may not go???? is there a chance of non hodgekin lymphoma??
Posted Thu, 26 Dec 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 53 minutes later
Brief Answer: It's likely to be tuberculosis Detailed Answer: Namaste Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Dear Mr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX I do understand your apprehension about the issue. As there was initial reduction in size of lymph following initiation of anti-tubercular treatment it's tuberculosis. Complete resolution of size and normalization may take many months. In some cases they may persists inspite of completion of treatment. It does not call for cause of concern or to be worried off. It's just a persistent reaction to the infection which could cause persistent swelling. Coming to your fear of Non Hodgkin lympoma, it's very rare to see it in this pediatric age group. Other important point is they cause progressive enlargement of lymph nodes, the lymph nodes never regress on their own without initiation of appropriate chemotherapy for the same. Best assured it's unlikely to be Non Hodgkin , as the lymph nodes showed reduction in size after initiation of anti-tubercular treatment indicating response to it. Even if they perists and size remain the same, then there is no cause of concern. I hope it helped If you need any further assistance will be glad to assist you Take care Wishing you a happy Fatherhood Best Regards Dr Deepak XXXXXXX Consultant Pediatric Surgeon