Does drinking lemon water help in coping up with anxiety?

Psychiatrist
Question
does drinking lemon water help with anxiety? when is the best time to drink it and how much?
Posted Fri, 27 Feb 2015 in Anxiety and Stress

Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
it may help but not as much as like medicines

Detailed Answer:

Anxiety can be due to many reasons.
When anxiety is due to low glucose level,low blood pressure or electrolyte disturbance, lemon water with salt and sugar can help in such cases.

However when anxiety is due to psychological factors or it is diagnosed anxiety disorder, lemon water is not useful.In such cases propranolol or benzodiazepine group of drugs should be used.

If you feel comfortable with and like lemon water to drink, you can drink daily one glass in the morning.There is no harm in it.

Hope this answers your query, I will be happy to help further.

Dr.Chintan Solanki.

Follow-up: Does drinking lemon water help in coping up with anxiety? 5 minutes later
does it help with bloating or any other peri symptoms? if the anxiety is due to low glucose, low blood pressure what would help that. i do take 5mg 3 times a day of propranonlol

Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes it helps in bloating of peri symptoms

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for follow up.

I think you are talking about perimenopausal symptoms.

Bloating occurs due to fluid and gas retention secondary to hormonal changes in perimenopausal period.

Lemon water reduce water retention.It improves kidney function, which will help to eliminate excess water in your body. It also stimulates your liver to produce bile, which improves digestion. Additionally, lemon juice is rich in vitamins and minerals, as well as contains antibacterial properties. These all properties help in bloating and few other peri symptoms.

As I mentioned lemon water with sugar helps in low blood glucose level and lemon water with salt in low blood pressure to curtail anxiety symptoms due to the same.

You can continue propranolol with lemon water 5 mg 3 times a day.It is safe.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be glad to answer more if more queries.

http://bit.ly/drchintansolanki