Does delayed periods with negative tests still mean pregnancy ?

Hi, I 46 years old. I had my last period on May 1-6 of this year. I have always had a 28 day cycle. A week before my period was due, I had my typical cramps, bloating, insominia and headaches. Now my period is 6 days late; this has never happened to me before. I have taken 3 pregnancy test and they have all been negative. My last period in May was very normal and heavy in bleeding. Please help. Too old for baby.
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 51 minutes later
Hello Stephaine,

You need to wait for 3-4 more days and test your urine for pregnancy again. Make sure that you use early morning first sample of the urine for this testing.

As long as you are having regular periods, there is every possibility of you getting pregnant.
The symptoms you had one week before your period was due can be due to digestive problems also.
If again your pregnancy test comes negative after 3-4 days then the delay in periods must have happened due to hormonal imbalance for which you will need hormonal tablets for treatment.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available if you have any further queries.

Follow-up: Does delayed periods with negative tests still mean pregnancy ? 2 hours later
Does this sound like pregnancy or not? Would I still have these negative results 6 days later?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Only a urine test will confirm the diagnosis.You may need an ultrasound if urine test is not conclusive.
If the test is negative and you do not get the periods till then , you will have to take hormonal treatment for regularizing your periods.

Sincerely hope it will help.