Does costochondritis cause shortness of breath?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I've had costochonsdritis fro 35 years. In the past year I've had considerable pain. Does costochondritis cause shortness of breath. YYYY@YYYY
Posted Wed, 29 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Costochondritis will not cause shortness of breath Detailed Answer: Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX Costochondritis (inflammation of the cartilage between the rib and breastbone) perse will not shortness of breath. Pain arising due to costochondritis will worsen during while taking deep breath or during coughing/sneezing. Propably, the apprehension of pain during breathing might be limiting your inspiratory volume of air and your rib cage expansion causing you to take more shortened inspiratory cycles mimicking shortness of breath. Or, there may be some other underlying cause for your shortness of breath (dyspnoea) either in the lungs or heart related issues. So, I suggest you to consult your family physician for a detailed clinical examination and possible diagnosis. Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further Regards