Does cortisone injection and flu shot cause elevated white blood count?

I have cll my last white count was 50,000 . I feel great. I had a MRI for a torn rotator cuff. I received a cortisone injection and had a flu shot. about a week later I had my regular blood test. Everything came out fine but the nurse said my white count had quadrupled? Could these injections caused my white count ballon to 90,000?
Posted Sat, 4 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Yes, cortisone shot can increase WBC Detailed Answer: Hello sir and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. Yes, as a matter of fact cortisone shots (especially more frequent shots; i.e. more than one) can cause leukocytosis (i.e. an increase in the white blood cell count). But, the flu shot cannot influence your white blood cell count; so the culprit is the cortisone injection. I hope you find my response helpful sir. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you. Best wishes.