Does contraceptive pills deplete nutrients and vitamins in the body?

Mar 2016

i have been taking XXXXXXX contraceptive pill for the past seven years. i have just recently stopped taking it as i have read alot of negative things about it. i have found it difficult to breathe and my pulse has increased but blood pressure is normal. i am wondering if this may have anything to do with the pill. im not sure if is anxiety. i am wondering if you know anything about this pill and how long does it take before the pill leaves your system? is it true that it can deplete nutrients and vitamins in your body? thankjs
Posted Sat, 1 Jun 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us. I am trying to give answer to your queries.
XXXXXXX is combined OCP (Drospirenone/ Ethinyl Estradiol) and it is more than 99% effective against unwanted pregnancy on regular taking.

There are some common side effects like other OCP. These include nausea/ vomiting, premenstrual syndrome, headache/ migraine, breast tenderness, mood changes, abdominal pain etc.

Drospirenone containing pill has higher risk for blood clots or thrombosis which can cause pulmonary embolism, stroke etc. It is more prevalent among the first timer users. It also increases potassium level too much.

In your case, you should consult with your health care provider at the earliest for complete health check up and relevant investigations if needed. Anxiety may aggravate your condition. Though, discontinuing of above OCP is right decision for you. You can opt for other method of contraceptive after consultation with gynecologist.

In general, any kind of OCP takes 1-4 weeks to clear out from blood or body system along with decreased effectiveness and blood hormone comes down to normal level.

It does not deplete nutrients & vitamins but can rise blood potassium level to some extent which may cause some ill health effect.

Hope, this information is quite helpful to you. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

For any future query, you can directly ask me by viewing this page WWW.WWWW.WW
Wish your good health. Take iron and vitamin supplement with healthy diet, drink plenty of fluid/ water and maintain personal hygiene properly.

Dr Soumen