Does continuous shaking of legs while coughing is something to worry ?

Question
When I cough my legs shake significantly. Is it something to be concerned about? I have had 2 back surgeries and digestive problems, etc.
I am 25, I weigh 109, over the last few months use lost 7 or 8 lbs. I have a lot of nausea and vomiting, I have a hard time eating it makes me feel sick. My body hurts frequently and I'm tired kind of worn out a lot.
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 36 minutes later

Given your history of 2 back surgeries and now shaking of legs after coughing, any spinal cord pathology needs to be ruled out and you need to get a MRI spine done.

Moreover since you are having nausea, vomiting and unintentional weight loss, other causes like diabetes, liver and gastrointestinal causes and some forms of malignancy should also be ruled out. Hence you should consult a physician and get these causes ruled out.

Secondly chronic nausea and vomiting can cause loss of appetite and weight and can cause electrolyte imbalance which in turn can cause weakness, fainting as well as shaking of legs and fatigue.

Hence you should get your electrolyte levels checked. For now, drink plenty of water to detoxify the body. The BRAT diet (ie, bananas, rice, applesauce, toast) or soft easily digestible semisolid diet can also be taken. Also take an antacid or a H2 blocker like Rantac or a PPI inhibitor drug like Omeprazole after consulting your doctor.

Further, avoid eating any junk food or oily, spicy food. Take a healthy, balanced and nutritious diet consisting more of fruits, salads, soups and raw vegetables (after proper washing). Also increase the protein content in your diet instead of carbohydrates and fats. An advice from a dietitian will be helpful.

Try raising the head end of your bed by at least two blocks and take your meals 2 hrs prior to bedtime. Also avoid taking two or three heavy meals. Instead, take regular frequent small meals. Avoid taking tea or coffee prior to bedtime and concentrate more on a healthy diet.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you a good health.

Follow-up: Does continuous shaking of legs while coughing is something to worry ? 16 minutes later
My last back surgery was on my L5-L4 and my L5-S1. I got a fusion. Could the leg shakes be bc of that?
Also I have had chronis nausea and vomitting for many years now. It seems to get worse as I get older. I can eat fewer thing I can eat only small portions. If I don't eat i feel suck if I do eat I feel sick. I've had all my blood work checked and my thyroid even a cat scan of my head. Everything showed normal. What do I do now?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 10 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

If the fusion of the vertebra or side effects of the surgery are causing any neurological compression then they can cause the symptoms that you are going through. Only an MRI of the spine can actually help in finding the underlying cause.

An MRI of head is still required even if CT is normal for MRI is a much more sensitive test to pick up any minimal lesions of the brain. If you are having chronic nausea and vomiting since many years and now there is recent weight loss, so any neurological pathology or intracranial space occupying lesion pressing on the vomiting centre need to be ruled out as well.

Chronic nausea and vomiting may be due to chronic gastritis.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us.

I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you a good health.