Does colonoscopy pose a risk for infectious diseases?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
Can I get any infectious diseases from colonoscopy procedure?? I went to a private hospital back in my home country (Bolivia, South America)...
Posted Sun, 16 Mar 2014 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Praveen G 7 days later
Brief Answer: Very rarely you can get infection. Detailed Answer: Hello, It is my pleasure to answer your query. Very very rarely a person can get infection following colonoscopy as all the aseptic precaution will be taken prior and during the procedure. There will be a very remote chance of getting infection if there is a breach in the gut mucosa, following procedures like biopsy and polypectomy. Because of the presence of normal gut pathogens. Hope you are happy with this answer, if you have any further query feel free to post them. Thank you.