Does cleaning my kidney cleanse my colon?

General Surgeon
last week i did a kidney cleanse of the coke and asparagus, and simultaneously discovered i had a high protein and blood trace in my urine. it was all simultaneous. since the coke and asparagus i have had to pee constantly, but with no burning sensation. as of sunday i have been on an anti for the bladder infection and going to the bathroom constantly, as i am also drinking lots of water. today i took one dose of vesipur and 5 some hours later had a bowel movement (which is odd for me, as only in the a.m.). it looked like a "cleanse"… i guess my question is, " when you cleanse your kidneys, does that also cleanse your colon, etc?" my urine is also for the first time in a long time clear. my dr. didn't think i had kidney stones, but i have been suffering from chronic pain below my rib cage and lower back and abdominal swelling for a year…. The rib cage pain has already stopped and the lower back pain has decreased. sorry for the long question…. and thank you for your time and advice. sincerely, "just want to feel better"!
Posted Wed, 5 Feb 2014 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Kidney cleansing different from colon cleaning Detailed Answer: Hi Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Cleansing of kidney is totally different from cleaning colon. Coke and asparagus consumed have an diuretic effect( increases urine output). This increased urine output occurs at expense of excreting water in excess in the kidney. The high urine output may temporarily help in flushing the urinary tract. If good oral intake if water is not maintained, it will lead to relative dehydration. Contrary to your belief of cleansing the colon, it will lead to constipation. The best and natural way to cleanse urinary tract and colon naturally is ensuring adequate intake of water( 2 to 3 liter a day for an adult). It will ensure good urine output and help in keeping the urinary tract clear by flushing action. Ensuring good water intake will also help in preventing constipation. Regular cleansing of bowel or urinary tract is not recommended. What is recommended is ensuring good intake of water and high fiber diet. Pain below your rib cage I assume you are referring to the pain in right hypochondriac region( where the liver is situated) . The pain is likely to be due to acid peptic disease. It would be more helpful if you could elaborate the details and duration of pain and any relationship with intake of food. It would be more helpful if you could elaborate on the following 1. Duration and exact location of pain 2. Does the pain get relieved or aggravate after intake of food? 3. Any other symptoms like nausea/vomiting? 4. Any history of regurgitation and burning sensation 5. Where is the exact location of abdominal swelling(sending a Clinical photograph will be helpful). Rest be assured that there is no cause for concern. . Do get back to me Wishing you and your family a very happy new year Take care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore MBBS, MS, MCH Consultant Surgeon