Does cipralex affect on sperm?

Dec 2014

Dear doctor, Is it safe for male who is using cipralex to make a baby?Does cipralex effect on sperm quality and if it does can you explane me how?
Posted Sun, 31 Mar 2013 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 53 minutes later
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Cipralex contains Escitalopram. It is a drug of SSRI group (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitot). It is a very nice medicine for Depression, Anxiety and a lot of other psychiatric disorders.

Escitalopram causes increase in serotonin concentration in synapses (decreased serotonin is hypothesized to be responsible for depression) and improves mood symptoms. It is a safer drug and has only a few side effects like-

Nausea and some times vomiting (more during initial phases of therapy)
Rebound increase in first 4-5 days of therapy
Mild headache, dizziness
In some patients tremors
Risk of serotonin syndrome etc.

Sexual side effects- Escitalopram is reported to cause Sexual side effects like
-Delayed ejeculation, anorgasmia and diminished libido.
-These side effects are usually observed at comparatively higher doses of Escitalopram.(more than 20-30 mg. per day)
-The side effects are reversible and individual usually improves on decreasing the dose
- A lot of other anti depressant drugs like Bupropion, Trazodon can be added with escitalopram to decrease the side effects.
- Use of Sildenafil or Tadalafil etc. are advised in some patients

Now coming to your questions-
- It is SAFE for male who is using cipralex to make a baby.
- Cipralex has no effect on quality and quantity of sperms. (No action on spermatogenesis).

Hope I cleared your doubt, I will be happy to answer you again.

Thanks, Take Care

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi