Does chronic sinusitis causes burning feeling in chest?

ENT Specialist
Hi - I have been dealing with chronic sinusitis which is causing post-nasal drip and some chest congestion. Could this also be the cause for a mild burning feeling in my chest during physical activity? Is this something to be concerned about?
Posted Wed, 29 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: nothing to worry. Detailed Answer: hi XXXX, Chronic sinusitis causes post nasal drip but not chest congestion or burning feeling in your chest. The burning feeling in your chest may be due acid reflux. Acid is normally produced by the stomach. If the lower end of the food pipe is incompetent then acid refluxes into the food pipe causing burning. Nothing to be worried about. It can be easily treated with antacids and prokinetic drugs. You can meet with your doctor for a prescription. Also try some breathing exercises to improve tone of the sphincter in the lower end of the food pipe. You can take an ECG as well to rule out heart disease. Feel free to followup. Regards, Dr kishori
Follow-up: Does chronic sinusitis causes burning feeling in chest? 9 minutes later
Hi Dr. Godhi, I forgot to mention that I am currently taking Omeprazole 40mg Time-Release as prescribed by my ENT doctor, Dr. XXXXXXX Shaari. Why would this symptom occur only during exercise? ECGs have been negative. Thanks again, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 23 minutes later
Brief Answer: exercise increases reflux Detailed Answer: Hi Mr XXXXXXX This symptom only gets worse during exercise. During exercise the sphincter at the lower end of the esophagus looses tone thereby making it lax which increases the reflux. Some amount of reflux will be present even at rest. Very mild reflux need not always produce heart burn. Ask your doctor to prescribe a prokinetic along with omeprazole. Prokinetic drugs increase motility of the stomach thereby emptying it faster. If the stomach is empty chances of reflux reduce dramatically. regards, Dr Rajkishori.