Does chemotherapy help in case of blast stage of Leukamia ?

Question
AML, MY FATHER IS 65YRS , 3 WEEKS BEFORE HE WAS DIAGONISED AS AML, HIS HEMOGLOBIN AND PLATTELET COUNT HAS REDUCED DRASTICALLY IN 2 MONTHS TIME WHEN WE WENT TO HOSPITAL IN BANGALORE, THEY TOLD US HIS CONDITION IS UNSTABLE AS HE HAS ENTERED THE LEUKIMIA BLAST PHASE WHICH IS FINAL STAGE OF THE DESEASE, CHEMOTHERAPY WILL NOT WORK AND THEY TOLD HIS SURVIVAL RATE IS 3 TO 6 MONTHS, WE WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THE OPTIONS
FOR TREATMENT ,
SOME HOSPITALS TELL THEY CAN DO CHEMO BUT HAVE TO STAY IN HOSPITAL FOR A MONTH TIME DURING CHEMO THEY TOLD PATIENT MAY RELAPSE
WE NEED TO KNOW WHICH WILL BE THE BEST PLACE FOR TREATEMENT IN BANGALORE FOR AML FINAL STAGE(BLAST %25)
WE ALL ARE CONFUSSED AND STRESSED PLEASE ADVICE , ANY COMMENTS WILL BE APPRECIATED
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Blood Cancer(Leukemia)

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 3 hours later

Thanks for posting your query. I can understand your concern. It is true that the blast stage is the later stages of AML and the prognosis is poor in this stage.

Patients in this final phase have more than 30% blast cells in their blood and bone marrow samples. The blast cells frequently invade other tissues and organs outside of the bone marrow. Once the patient enters this phase, the prognosis is very poor and survival span is very limited.

You can consult Bangalore institute of oncology at XXXXXXX nagar. Kidwai insititute of oncology or XXXXXXX Hridyalaya also which are good oncology institutes and have best oncologists on board.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Does chemotherapy help in case of blast stage of Leukamia ? 2 hours later
hello Dr

my father was diagnoised in HCG which is bangalore instute of oncology
they told the they cant consider chemo because its final stage
we also went for second opinion at ramiah they told they can do chemo
with one month stay in hospital
what should we do now?
please advice

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 11 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

I agree with the doctors that chemotherapy can be used but there are very high chances of relapse and moreover the side effects of chemotherapy cannot be ignored at this stage.

The exact treatment regime used in each case (the drugs used, doses, length of treatment, etc) takes into account various factors like number of blasts in the blood at diagnosis and the spread of these cancer cells to the brain and spinal cord.

Usually, the outlook is generally not as good for people over the age of 60. This is because older people may not be able to tolerate intensive chemotherapy. Hence I suggest you to discuss the pros and cons with the oncologists at Ramiah institute and then go in for chemotherapy.

Follow-up: Does chemotherapy help in case of blast stage of Leukamia ? 3 hours later
thank you for ur reply Dr
hcg oncologist advise us to go with palliative therapy
can this considered as best option??

or going into chemo at age 65 getting it done to cure 3o% of desease udgergoing all side effects ....is it risky???
please advise?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 14 hours later

Good to hear from you again.

Palliative therapy in cancer focuses on relieving and preventing the suffering of patients and is used to relieve symptoms without having a curative effect on the underlying disease or cause.

Chemotherapy at this stage as mentioned earlier is not without side effects which includes very low WBC which causes infections, low hemoglobin causing anemia and frequent blood transfusion is required and low platelet counts causing high-risk of bleeding. Apart from that, painful mouth ulcers, abdominal pain, cramps and diarrhea can occur.

As mentioned earlier, the prognosis is poor whether you go in for palliative therapy or chemotherapy as the person often goes into relapse. Hence in that case, it is an individual decision to go in for either of the two. Chemotherapy at this stage and age is risky and should be used with caution.

Hope this answers your query.

Regards.