Does cefdinir antibiotic cause reddish stool?

Gastroenterologist
Question
what does a redish stool mean? I'm on a 7 day 2x a day cefdinir 300 mg antibiotic... Is there anything to worry about? I should have mentioned that I started the antibiotics on Sunday and the redish stool started the following day. It was half normal stool and half red stool. Tues, wed, and Thursday were all redish stools... No bleeding, no diareahia (spelling?) and no other symptoms. The antibiotics were for a sinus infection which is now clearing up. My feeling is the redish stool will disperse once the antibiotics are out of my system but it still makes me anxious... Thanks for any help you can give me...
Posted Tue, 31 Dec 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Please follow the suggestions below... Detailed Answer: Hi, You are saying to have been using cefdinir antibiotic. One of the side effects of this medications is reddish stool especially if you have been taking an iron supplementation. So, once you will be off the antibiotic, your stool will be back to normal again. If the reddish color of stool persist, you can have an occult blood test in feces for further evaluation. All the best! Feel free to ask me again if you have further questions!

Follow-up: Does cefdinir antibiotic cause reddish stool? 3 hours later
Although I'm not taking an iron supplementatoion, I am taking Centrum Silver multi vitamin for women 50 and older. I'm sure iron is in that as well.I but I don't know the exact dosage. Would this be enough iron to cause this type ofc side effect as well? Thank you for your help.

Brief Answer: Please follow the suggestions below... Detailed Answer: Hi, Centrum Silver you are taking does contain iron too. So, the reddish stool could be because of: - cefdinir - iron in centrum silver. Once you stop taking centrum and cefdinir, you will not notice reddish stool. If you still notice it, then, should run some more tests. All the best! Dr.Klerida

Follow-up: Does cefdinir antibiotic cause reddish stool? 22 hours later
Just wanted to say thank you for your help. Sincerely, XXXXXXX XXXX

Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 32 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thank you writing back... Detailed Answer: HI, XXXXXXX I am very happy to know that my answer was helpful for you. Wishing you all the best. Dr. Klerida p.s. if you are satisfied with my answer, please close this thread and kindly rate my answer!