Does bupropion cause a false positive for illegal drugs?

Addiction Medicine Specialist
I have to take a 5 panel drug test. I have been prescribed Bupropion and Effexor for years, will they cause a false positive for illegal drugs?? It is a Urine Test
Posted Mon, 10 Mar 2014 in Drug Abuse
Answered by Dr. Preeti Parakh 28 minutes later
Brief Answer: It is possible. Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to Healthcare Magic! Bupropion has sometimes produced a false positive drug test for amphetamines. Effexor can produce false positive tests for amphetamines and phencyclidine. Most five panel tests screen for cocaine, cannabis, opioids, amphetamines and phencyclidine. Hence there is a chance that you may test positive. Best wishes. Dr Preeti Parakh MD Psychiatry