Ask a Dentist   »  

Does bleaching, veneering and crown placement cause sensitivity?

I closed the query - How to whiten teeth naturally?

Have one more query with continuation to this, I heard people complaining about sensitivity problems after doing 'Bleaching/veneering/crown placement'. Thus, wanted to know more about it.
Posted Wed, 10 Apr 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar 59 minutes later

Tooth colour varies in each individual due to the difference in enamel shades in each person.

To keep your teeth white naturally:
- Brush your teeth twice regularly using soft bristled toothbrush.
- Rinse your mouth after every meals to prevent food lodgement.
- You can rinse and brush your teeth using pumice powder and hydrogen peroxide solution.
- Please avoid too much intake of sticky and solid foods.

Regarding teeth whitening treatments, the method used differs in each person depending on the cause of discolouration.
- If your teeth are stained intrinsically, crown has to be placed.
- In case of extrinsic stains bleaching/veneering will be sufficient.

Now the sensitivity associated with the above mentioned techniques differs with the condition of teeth. If the appropriate method is selected, sensitivity will not occur or lasts for a shot time.

I recommend you not to use whitening kits available without consulting with a dentist. So please do visit a dentist whenever feasible if you are willing to get whitening treatments. Your dentist can select the appropriate method based on condition of your teeth to prevent complications.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to ask any other concerns.