Does biotin cause brown discharge from the vagina?

i am 26, female. My vagina started to bleeding(mainly dark brown discharge) for 4 days since I have been taking biotin and other vitamins together for hair growth (3600 mcg biotin per day).It is not period time, so it definitely not my period.
1. Should i stop taking biotin?
2. Can i restart to take it when bleeding stops? and what amount do u recommend to take per day for biotin?
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 54 minutes later

High doses of biotin are not documented to have any relation with any kind of bleeding disorders. Biotin is a water soluble vitamin which if consumed in excess is excreted through urine in our body.

The finding of vaginal brownish bleeding is mainly indicative of an old bleeding of the uterus and is not likely to be associated with biotin.

When did you have your last periods?

Is there any history of irregular spotting prior to this episode also?

You may try stopping biotin for few days to see if there is effects on the bleeding.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. If there are additional concerns, I am available for your followups.