Does anxiety increase at different stages in puberty?

Does anxiety increase at different stages in puberty? I've been fine for a couple of years and then just in the last 6 weeks I've become anxious and worrying about all different things.
Posted Sat, 9 Feb 2013 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 2 hours later
I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Your current problems are: anxiety and excessive worry. With these symptoms, in presence of normal investigation, it is better to rule out anxiety and stress in your case.

Usually onset of anxiety occur between 15 to 25 years of age, due to stress, physical and hormonal changes in body.

Common symptoms of anxiety which may or may not be present in your case: nervousness, restlessness, mild irritability, excessive worry regarding own health, tremor, muscle spasm, heaviness in body, easy fatigability, headache, sleep disturbance, palpitation and dry mouth.

Anxiety can occur due to psychological (stress and anxiety disorder) or medical reasons (anxiety secondary to medical problems). Anxiety due to psychological reasons occur due to neurotransmitters imbalance in brain most commonly involving serotonin neurotransmitter.

Following problems should be considered in your age group in presence of anxiety:
•     Anxiety disorder: need to be rule out by detailed interview by psychiatrist
•     Adjustment issues
•     Vitamin deficiency: Get serum B12 level. Start multi vitamins as they are easily available.
•     Side effect of substance use
•     Thyroid related problem: get thyroid hormonal assay done
•     Hypertension: Get your blood pressure measured

Apart from above advice following simple measures will help you:
-Decrease worrying by keeping yourself busy and distracted from worrisome thoughts by talking to family members or watching T.V. or distracting yourself by counting back (100 to 0).
-Healthy diet: Milk and fruits in diet.
-Daily morning walk
-Breathing exercise, yoga and meditation (which you can learn from some expert in person)

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.
Follow-up: Does anxiety increase at different stages in puberty? 2 hours later
Does the thyroid hormonal assay involve a blood test?
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 6 minutes later
Hello again,

Thanks for follow up,

Yes, thyroid hormonal assay involve a blood test. You have to give empty stomach blood sample for this.

Wish you good health.