Does anxiety cause fluctuations in heart rate?

Hi I am a 37 years old female no known health conditions I have just had a complete physical where the EKG found a fast heartrate 130 beats the doctor felt that the cause was due to anxiety she retook my pulse 10 minutes later and it had gone down to 107 could this be due to anxiety or should I be concerned about an underlying heart condition
Posted Fri, 21 Feb 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 59 minutes later
Brief Answer: Count Again and tell me. Detailed Answer: Dear Friend. Hi , I am Dr Anshul Varshney , I have read your query in detail , I understand your concern. Pulse rate of 130 / min is high. It can be due to anxiety at a doctor's clinic but it is transient , and if it is still persisting now , it requires evaluation. Ok let's do self examination , just count your pulse rate for 1 minute and tell me. Also mention if you got your Blood Pressure checked. If your pulse rate is still high you require : 1. ECG 2. Thyroid Profile 3. Xray Chest. Also share with me the reports of your physical check up. Reply with these questions of mine, for my further opinion. Stay Healthy. Dr Anshul Varshney , MD
Follow-up: Does anxiety cause fluctuations in heart rate? 44 minutes later
Blood pressure was fine pulse is at 75 beats per minute thyroid checked out fine as well as routine bliid work have been monitoring my pulse since and it seems to range between 75 and 90
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: No intervention required Detailed Answer: Dear XXXX. Then there is nothing to worry. You might be having anxiety leading to increase in pulse rate that time. Still if you are worried simply get an ECG done , however , as far as my opinion is considered , nothing is required. If you don't have a further query , you may please close the discussion and rate it. Stay Healthy.