Does an abortion cause scars in the uterus ?

HI I am 32 years old. i had an abortion 2 years ago using a Pill, under medical supervision. I am divorced now, and want to strat a new chapter in life. Does the abortion have any scars in my uterus? Will a doctor know that I had an abortion by doing tests? Should i go through a medical examination with a gynaec to check my health before marriage
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Abortion and Stillbirth
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 16 minutes later

Past medical terminations using medicines shouldn't have any long lasting effect on the uterus.

There should not be any scars per say. But sometimes adhesion are present due to instrumentation like curettage etc. Also sometimes the state of the cervix can indicate prior pregnancy. But that's not a diagnostic factor.

There should be no reason for you not to get pregnant in the future. You should be able to have a successful pregnancy outcome.

I understand your need to keep this private; but I advise you to be honest about your medical history with your gynecologist, as it would help to avert any problems.
You can of course, get a health check up done if you wish.

Since you are 32, I suggest you start your family sooner rather than later to avoid complications.

All the best.

Hope that was useful. I will be available to answer any more doubts that you have.

Follow-up: Does an abortion cause scars in the uterus ? 45 hours later
Is it a good idea to go for a check up? What tests should I go for? Please advise
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 9 minutes later

Thanks for getting back to me.

Since you have been pregnant before there should not be any reason why you cannot become pregnant again.
If at all you decide to get a check up then your doctor will do a basic physical examination,some blood test to rule out anaemia,diabetes, etc.
A hormone profile is indicated only if you have other symptoms like menstrual abnormalities.
Initially there is no need for an ultrasound but in case you are not getting pregnant after 3-6 months of trying,then ovulation studies need to be done.
Once you become pregnant,then again your OB will do some tests as part of normal antenatal care.