Does allopurinol or colchicine raise PSA levels?

Jul 2016

Does allopurinol or colchicine raise PSA levels and how goid is the evidence
Posted Thu, 3 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Raised PSA not due to drugs.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query.Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have been taking Allopurinol and Colchicine for treatment of gout and have noticed that your Serum PSA has raised from 4.5 to 7 during lst 3 months.

The medicines that you are taking has no relation to your raised serum PSA.

Serum PSA gets raised in either cancer of the prostate or in some patients with benign enlargement of prostate.

Please consult qualified Urologist for clinical and digital rectal examination and following basic tests to confirm the diagnosis.
1) Ultra sound scanning of abdomen and scanning with rectal probe,(TRUS)
2) Prostate biopsy.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask me I shall be happy to help you