Does alcohol contribute to aortic aneurysm along with back pains,knee pain and arthritis?

Cardiac Surgeon
Hi, My question is regarding both aortic and illiac aneurysms. My father is now 83, and drank alcohol daily until 3 years ago when he decided to quit and did this "cold turkey" as they say. 11 days later he suffered a stroke and was then placed on coumadin. He was on that blood thinner until a few months back when his medical doctor decided the risk was worse than the benefit when he did a ct and found the aortic aneurysm. My father has been very active until this time. He did recover from the stroke but has been down this summer not feeling well with leg pain, back pain, sudden stabbing pains, etc. He also suffers from knee pain, arthritis, COPD, and back problems from being a coal miner for 37 years. He stopped smoking in by October also. He has been in hospital and now rehab center with pneumonia, and last week another ct scan was performed and we were informed that he has also some kidney stone, as well as probable mass on kidneys, and yet a illiac aneurysm. At his age and with these aneurysms, we were debating on seeing a specialist to determine whether or not surgery would be recommended. And of course as Dad says, "maybe he shouldnt have stopped the alcohol". Any suggestions? From what I read, his age and overall health would not be suggestive of surgery. Thank you
Posted Sun, 22 Dec 2013 in Valvular Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. F. Sadruddin Shariff 38 minutes later
Brief Answer: More info please Detailed Answer: Hi Firstly let me clarify that Alcohol has nothing to do with Aneurysms, they are a degenerative disease and Alcohol is not a contributor of the process. Secondly, I wish if you can tell me where is the Aneurysm in Aorta, is it in the Abdominal or Thoracic, If it is Abdominal is it Supra renal or Infra renal (above or below the branch to kidneys) and if it is Thoracic is it the Ascendng, Arch or the Descending part of it as well as the extent and size of the Aneurysm. It would be all the more better if you can upload the CT Scan report thanks and regards Dr Sadruddin