Does albenzadole work for pinworm infection? How long does it take to work?

Does albenzadole work for pinworm infection? If so how long does it take to work? And will symptoms like tickling get worse before it gets better?
Posted Fri, 7 Sep 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 11 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
Pinworm (Enterobius vermicularis) infections are extremely common. The most common symptom of pinworms is an itchy rectal area.
Albendazole is the most common treatment for pinworms. Treatment is a single tablet, which kills the worms. There are different strengths for adults and children younger than two years of age. Because eggs can survive for a few weeks, the patient will have to take a second dose two weeks later to lessen the chance of reinfection.
Sometimes the ticking gets worse following treatment but eventually subside.
Hope I have provided the information you needed.
Wish you good health. Take care.
Follow-up: Does albenzadole work for pinworm infection? How long does it take to work? 43 minutes later
I have taken 400 mg 2 times 2 weeks apart, most recently last Friday. I am still feeling the terrible tickle.

How long should I wait before asking a dr for more?Should it be working by now!
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 41 minutes later
Good to hear from you.
I advice you to wait for 2 to 3 days and if the symptoms persists i advice you to see consulting doctor for examination. Even the stool examination can help to identify the parasite.
Hope i have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.
Wish you good health.