Does acidity cause nervousness and depression?

As advised by you taking Anxit .25 mscg twice daily to overcome grief of death ofa a near one. You had also suggested Neksium 40 for acidity. How ever met gastro entrologist who says I need Upper GI endoscopy for the uneasiness caused after food with enormous burping.In case I am not willing to undergo Endocsopy he has asked me to stop all acid supressants for a month and then take a breath test to rule out HIPylori. I have stopped Neksium and am taking only Gelusil after food. But feel extremely uncomfortable after food and nervous and panicky is it due to depression or acidity or both ? what SHOULD i DO? i AM RESTLESS!!
Posted Fri, 13 Dec 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Life style modifications. Prokinetic agents Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX XXXXXXX Thanks for writing Back. The gastric discomfort (enormous burping after food) should be treated and for my patients I usually advice for relief with medications. Since your gastroenterologist suggested to stop Neksium, you can use prokinetic agent(like domperidone or metoclopromide) which will help in propulsive movement of food and hence will prevent the continuous burping. Mean time you should practice other life style modifications like having more of fibrous food (Green leafy vegetables) every day and more frequent less quantity food rich in fruits and vegetables (once in every 3 hours) with plenty of oral fluids. Regular exercise will help in balancing the neurotransmitters level and also our body rhythm which will stop the anxiety or depression and also other body functions. These will help in managing the reflux gastritis and also your restlessness. H. Pylori breath test may show false positive without ulcer. Even upper endoscopy is a diagnostic tool to see if any gastric or duodenal ulcer or any problem in the esophagus due to reflux and hence we can treat the cause. So I advice you to continue life style modifications with prokinetic agent. If symptoms continues even with these, then you can take H. Pylori kit for curing H pylori infection (with your doctor's advice). Hope this information is helpful for you. Please feel free to ask any further query and I will be happy to help you. Wish you faster recovery. Regards